Medi-Cal provides free or low cost health insurance to eligible adults, children and seniors.
3 Easy Ways to Apply:
IN PERSON Visit an HSA Office location
BY MAIL Call (800) 223-8383 to request an application or download an application and mail the completed application to one of our offices
Learn more or request an application
Who can benefit from Medi-Cal?
- People under the age of 21 OR 65 and over
- The blind or disabled
- Parents of children under 21
- Pregnant women
- People in a skilled nursing or long-term facility
- Those receiving SSI/SSP or CalWORKs
- Those who meet income and resources guidelines
What else should I know?
- If you have a medical emergency, you can ask your worker to process your case right away.
- You can apply for Medi-Cal even if you have another type of insurance.
- In some cases, Medi-Cal can help pay for Medicare premiums.
- Applications are usually processed in 45 days (90 days for disability applications).
What do I need to apply?
To make your application process easier, please have the following ready:
- Identification – Driver's license, California ID card, passport, birth certificates, or proof of immigration status
- Proof of residency – Rent or mortgage receipt or utility bill
- Proof of income – Pay stubs, Social Security award letter, child support and alimony, unemployment/disability stubs, or veterans benefits
- Resources – Checking and savings account statements, savings bonds, stock certificates, retirement accounts, vehicle registration
- Call 211 to connect with community services for food, shelter, job services, child care, senior services, counseling and much, much more. To use the services just dial “211.”
- For employment services and training, visit our PeninsulaWorks One-Stop Career Centers – www.peninsulaworks.org.
- For emergency food and to apply for CalFresh (food stamps):
San Mateo County Food Connection
Based on the Affordable Care Act, significant changes are coming to Medi-Cal that will impact many applicants and recipients. These changes to Medi-Cal eligibility will be effective January 1, 2014.
The information on this page is for reference only. Speak to a staff person for the most up-to-date information.