Child Protective Services
Child Protective Services is a 24 hour service provided on behalf of children in San Mateo County who are newborn to age 18 and alleged to be the victims of child abuse, neglect, or exploitation.
Reporting Child Abuse
If you know or suspect that a child is currently being abused, has been abused in the past, or is at risk of abuse call:
650-595-7922 or 1-800-632-4615 (both lines are staffed 24 hours daily)
Or, contact your local police department.
Staff provide services to:
- Protect and promote the welfare of all children
- Prevent, remedy, or assist in the solution of problems which may result in the neglect, abuse, or exploitation of children
- Prevent the unnecessary separation of children from their families (when not removing the child is desirable and possible) by identifying family problems, assisting families in resolving their problems, and preventing breakup of the family
- Restore children back to their families after they have been removed
- Identify children to be placed in suitable adoptive homes, in cases when restoring them to their biological family is not possible or appropriate
- Assure adequate care of children away from their homes, in cases when the child cannot be returned home or cannot be placed for adoption.